Re: Partial Success Report

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Partial Success Report
From: Jeff Coffin <jcoffin@sv.usweb.com>
Date: 21 Oct 1998 17:56:11 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Fogot to CC the list on this....

Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de> writes:

> Could you please lookup major and minor number of /dev/console on
> your root filesystem ? It should be major 5 and minor 2 to work
> properly with the serial console.

I fixed it, do I need to change systty too perhps?:

[root@lil dev]# ls -l
total 0
crw-------   1 root     disk       5,   2 Oct 21 13:25 console
crw-------   1 root     disk       4,   0 May 11 08:48 console.dist
crw-rw-r--   1 root     root       1,   3 May 11 08:48 null
brw-r-----   1 root     disk       1,   1 May 11 08:48 ram
crw-------   1 root     disk       4,   0 May 11 08:48 systty
crw-------   1 root     root       4,   1 May 11 08:48 tty1
crw-------   1 root     root       4,   2 May 11 08:48 tty2
crw-------   1 root     root       4,   3 May 11 08:48 tty3
crw-------   1 root     root       4,   4 May 11 08:48 tty4
crw-------   1 root     root       4,   5 May 11 08:48 tty5

> please try to boot these kernels with bootp()/vmlinux console=ttyS0 (also
> try ttyS1) and a terminal hooked up to one of the serial ports (in .116
> ttyS0 is port 2 and ttyS1 is port 1; I've changed that in .121, but I'm not
> sure if this fix is already in the precompiled kernel). It's possible,
> that I've messed up the card detection so, that it panics, when there is
> no newport installed.

Nope, didn't work.  The 116 kernel makes the power light blink red to
green ad infinitum and the 121 version appears to load, but the
console is elsewhere.  I'm using port 1 for the serial connection
(it's setup thusly in the PROM)

The default kernel still boots OK and appears to mount the nfsroot:

Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.0.20
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.0.20
VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Adv: done running setup()

but then nothing....

BTW, I'm doing the whole thing from a serial console (minicom).  The
gfx card doesn't work from IRIX either.  One of these days I'll
replace it, but it's not real high on my list of things to buy for
$200+.

--jeff