Re: XZ

To: kyriazis@sgi.com, "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <matomira@acm.org>
Subject: Re: XZ
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 03:41:38 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Oct 19, 1998 at 12:53:40PM -0700, George Kyriazis wrote:

> * The monitor PROM downloads a mini-microcode that could be used.  I am
>   not sure what the entry points look like to the PROM.  I think this
>   is the safest bet.

> * Documentation will be hard to find.  Documentation for programming the
>   microcoded engines, even harder.  You could, of course, use the existing
>   microcode.

For now that looks like the best strategy.  Anyway, as step one all we
want is text output.  This can be achived by using the ARC firmware.
That may be slow, but it's working and it gives us an instant driver for
any number of console devices people might have come up with in the past.
The Sparc guys, btw already have a prom console driver.