Re: Partial Success Report

To: Jeff Coffin <jcoffin@sv.usweb.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Partial Success Report
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:16:45 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 01:50:31PM -0700, Jeff Coffin wrote:
> Last night I got the HardHat kernel to boot via the bootp method
> described in the Howto and, as expected from the experiences of
> Richard Hartensveld, it hung looking for a console.

Could you please lookup major and minor number of /dev/console on
your root filesystem ? It should be major 5 and minor 2 to work
properly with the serial console.

>  I then grabbed
> newer kernels (2.1.116 and 2.1.121) from the /pub/test on the ftp
> server and attmepted to get them loaded by the same mechanism, but
> both of them hang after loading via tftp.

please try to boot these kernels with bootp()/vmlinux console=ttyS0 (also
try ttyS1) and a terminal hooked up to one of the serial ports (in .116
ttyS0 is port 2 and ttyS1 is port 1; I've changed that in .121, but I'm not
sure if this fix is already in the precompiled kernel). It's possible,
that I've messed up the card detection so, that it panics, when there is
no newport installed.

Thomas.

                                        [Martin `MJ' Mares on linux-kernel]