Re: Partial Success Report

To: Jeff Coffin <jcoffin@sv.usweb.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Partial Success Report
From: Ulf Carlsson <grim@zigzegv.ml.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 21:46:59 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, Oct 15, 1998 at 04:46:29PM -0700, Jeff Coffin wrote:

> > It would probably not make much difference, "Warning: unable to open
> > an initial console" isn't caused by a gfx board neither an old
> > kernel, but from an incorrect /dev/console.
>
> That's what I thought.  I was speculating that the hardware trouble
> was causing the kerel hangs.

Are we sure that the XZ chipset you have is supported? Get a newport one :)

> > I'm currently running hardhat diskless, I'm only using the IRIX
> > harddrive when I boot (the bootp command is loaded from the
> > harddrive).
>
> Not from the PROM?  How does that work?  (I'm new to SGI's and getting
> IRIX up at all from just a CD and a new hard drive was a "learning
> experience")

I thought the bootp command was loaded from the IRIX partition, because it
didn't work when I removed the IRIX harddrive, atleast it didn't with my old
PROM.  It claimed that it couldn't find the bootp() command - maybe I'm out of
my mind, I'll check next time I remove the cover...

- Ulf