Re: Partial Success Report

To: Jeff Coffin <jcoffin@sv.usweb.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Partial Success Report
From: Ulf Carlsson <grim@zigzegv.ml.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 00:17:17 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hello,

> Last night I got the HardHat kernel to boot via the bootp method
> described in the Howto and, as expected from the experiences of
> Richard Hartensveld, it hung looking for a console.  I then grabbed
> newer kernels (2.1.116 and 2.1.121) from the /pub/test on the ftp
> server and attmepted to get them loaded by the same mechanism, but
> both of them hang after loading via tftp.

It *should* find an initial console if you have mounted the root filesystem from
the hardhat CD correctly.

You can probably install hardhat on a i386 box in your local network if you
want, and boot directly into an already installed hardhat via nfs-root. That
hardhat default installer is _very_ annoying, it crashes all the time.. (signal
11, out of memory etc..), I don't know if this would solve your problems - but
it helped me... :)
Give the --root <rootdir> option to rpm, and install the needed rpms from the cd

> I don't know where to go from here, so I'm looking for ideas.  Hinv
> and the boot log from the hardhat kernel boot are below.
>
> I'm thinking about removing the gfx board entirely and seeing if that
> has any effect, will that do me any good?

It would probably not make much difference, "Warning: unable to open an initial
console" isn't caused by a gfx board neither an old kernel, but from an
incorrect /dev/console.

I'm currently running hardhat diskless, I'm only using the IRIX harddrive when
I boot (the bootp command is loaded from the harddrive).

- Ulf