R4000SC ...

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: R4000SC ...
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 22:00:43 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi all,

accepting the danger that I'm going to frustrate someone on this list -
I managed to get the R4000SC V3.0 going under Linux in less than two hours.
I'm now typing this email logged on from my Indy running from local disk
to another Linux machine.  The worst part was actually to get rid of all
the MIPS IV code on my machine before I could do anything useful again with
a MIPS III CPU.

The patch which I'm going to commit will actually be quite a bit larger
than the fixes for the SC actually needed to be because large parts of
the support for the SC CPU were overly complex, better-than-nothing
implementations or supporting CPU configurations that aren't possible
at all.  Benefit of all this for everybody is 10kb less kernel code.

Time to fix the "CPU too expensive" panic ;-)