Re: I am interested in helping port to Indigo

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: I am interested in helping port to Indigo
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 11:47:16 -0700
Cc: "Fernando D. Mato Mira" <matomira@acm.org>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries writes:
 > Fernando D. Mato Mira wrote:
 >
 > > Hello,
 > >
 > > What would one need to do to port what is running of SGI/Linux to
 > > Indigo R4400 150MHz Elan?
 >
 > One would need to write device drivers for:
 > - SCSI
 > - ethernet
 > - display or serial
 >
 > I thought the indigo used either gio64 or gio32.  I might be wrong.

     The original Indigo (R3000-based) used a different chip set from
the Indigo R4000, Indy, and Indigo2, which shared a common memory controller.
The latter machines use vary a bit in the details of their peripheral
chips, the parts are mostly either the same or different mainly in being
later revisions in some of the systems.  The Indigo2 added EISA bus support
(along with GIO).