Re: R4600PC upgrade

To: Ulf Carlsson <grim@zigzegv.ml.org>
Subject: Re: R4600PC upgrade
From: Leon Verrall <leon@reading.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:33:41 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> I received a R4600PC today (thanks Lukas), and I happily went to my Indy
> and plugged it in instead of my R4000SC. It failed on the diagnostics test
> though.
>
> Exception: <vector=Normal>
> Status register: 0x30004803<CU1,CU0,IM7,IM4,IPL=???,MODE=KERNEL,EXL,IE>
> Cause register: 0x4000<CE=0,IP7,EXC=INT>
> Exception PC: 0xbfc0b598
> Interrupt exception
> CPU Parity Error Interrupt
> Local I/O interrupt register 1: 0x80 <VR/GIO2>
> CPU parity error register: 0x80b<B0,B1,B3,SYSAD_PAR>
> CPU parity error: address: 0x1fc0b598
> NESTED EXCEPTION #1 at EPC: 9fc3df00; first exception at PC: bfc0b598

We have an Indy in the lab that does this occasionally. It's a bit old and
crappy. On that machine it's a problem with the processor seating or
connections. Often happens after a power cycle.

The cure is usually, take the top off the Indy and give the processor board
a good push down and generally push everything else around it home...

Leon

--
Leon Verrall - 01189 257734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.