Re: HAL2

To: Ulf Carlsson <grim@zigzegv.ml.org>
Subject: Re: HAL2
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 16:38:40 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sun, Oct 04, 1998 at 01:23:12PM +0200, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> level applications. The implementation of my HAL2 driver will exist in
> kernel space, and a user level library will provide higher level interface
> to the applications (the same interface as libaudio.a in IRIX). Do we know
> what the interface between libaudio.a and the Irix kernel looks like or am
> I free to do what I want?

For IRIX compatibilty, we may want to implement the same interface as
IRIX has. But for Linux compatiblity we should have something, which fits
into the current Linux sound devices scheme. And as the Linux interface is
available in source, I would go that way. And when you do the libaudio.a
stuff based on the Linux sound devices, it will also be available for other
Linux architectures.

Maybe it's even possible to get IRIX compatible sound, with a user level
only solution.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)