Re: Still Installing

To: Mike Hill <mikehill@hgeng.com>
Subject: Re: Still Installing
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 01:29:33 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Mike Hill wrote:
> Many thanks to Alex deVries for the on-site service call and the loan of
> his hard drive to prove that SGI/Linux will boot on my hardware
> (R4600PC, 32 M RAM, 8-bit graphics).  It was quite a thrill to see the

Please note that such service is available provided you can supply
transportation and dinner :)

> login prompt for the first time.  At the same time Alex was treated
> first hand to some bizarre SGI/Linux behaviour that he's only been able
> to read about until now.

Okay, there are definite differences among Indy's.  I thought they wer
pretty much all the same.  There are two big differences between ours:

- 32 MB appears somehow just not to be enough to operate well.  I don't
know where the memory is actuall ygoing, though.

- There must be two different screen resolutions, since the *exact* same
binaries that displayed beautifully on mine were chopped off on Mike's.
Is ther emore than one version of the newport?

> signal 11.  Instead of partitioning the drive with fx or from within the
> installer, I reran the Linux-installer 0.2 procedure.  After that, the
> Hard Hat installer continued into the package installation.  Many
> packages (including bash) failed to install with the "script execution
> failure" message.  This was also reported by Alexander Ehlert.  The
> installer finished and I had a login prompt, but I couldn't log in.
> I'll download the testinstall-tree and continue with Alexander's
> strategy.

Okay.  So there's a partitioning issue.  I think we knew that.

The script execution thing is, i think, just because the CD you have isn't
quite the latest one.

> Kernel notes:  I also get the truncated screen reported by Jan Chadima
> (and Leon Verrall?); it seems like at least ten lines scrolling out of
> view.  When I can compile a kernel I'll try reducing the screen size in
> bootinfo.h.

This is strange.  This means that different newport graphics cards have
different sizes.

- Alex