Re: challenge s boots linux

To: Jeremy John Welling <jwelling@engin.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: challenge s boots linux
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:33:53 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jeremy John Welling wrote:
> What is the next architecture sgi/linux will be ported to?  Indigo2 r4kXZ?
> What is the status of the newport Xserver? What is the best place to get
> specific hardware info?  Has anyone started on the Indy XZ graphics?

This is an interesting question, and I for one would much rather see
things like the graphics for Newport and audio working on the INdy before
we start off on other things like the Indigo2.

But, i've been thinking for awhile that an Indigo2 port would be the next
box to target... i suppose there's no harm in looking at both machines
concurrently.

Getting docs on the Indigo2 would be quite important for a successful
port, though.  That would require SGI's help, and I can see them being a
lot more open to it if we got the Indy completely supported first.

- Alex