Re: challenge s boots linux

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: challenge s boots linux
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 21:22:41 +0200
Cc: Richard Hartensveld <richardh@infopact.nl>, Rob Lembree <lembree@sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Sep 22, 1998 at 08:24:20PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:
>       First, I wonder how much of the kernel will actually work on the
> Challenge S; I'm told there are SCSI controller differences.

looking linus.linux.sgi.com, which is AFAIK a Challenge S, it seems the
Challenge has a wd33c93 and a wd33c95. The wd33c93 is what we already support.
As long as the harddisk are attached to it, it should work. The wd33c95
is a rather strange chip, and from the datasheet I have here, it looks like
a lot of work to write a driver for it, because besides the kernel code,
you have to write sequence code for the chip, too.

>       The install kernel you're using (and oh god, is it ever a bad one)
> is broken in that serial console won't work.  Yes, I should have looked
> into it way back when.

When I did the new console code, I first made the serial console working.
As far as I remember I had to do some ugly hacks, but I'll try to clean
it up and check it in.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)