Re: challenge s boots linux

To: Richard Hartensveld <richardh@infopact.nl>
Subject: Re: challenge s boots linux
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 20:24:20 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Rob Lembree <lembree@sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Richard Hartensveld wrote:
> Should the default kernel support serial terminal consoles?? My goal is
> to install linux onto the challenge
> (which is headless) using a serial terminal connected to it, is this
> possible by default or should i cross-compile my own kernel on another
> platform?.

Rich,

        First, I wonder how much of the kernel will actually work on the
Challenge S; I'm told there are SCSI controller differences.

        The install kernel you're using (and oh god, is it ever a bad one)
is broken in that serial console won't work.  Yes, I should have looked
into it way back when.  There's two things you can do:

- rebuild a kernel by cross compiling in the correct options (this is
reasonably easy to do)
- wait for me to have my machine moved (finally) and online and I'll whip
up a modern install kernel for you and the others with serial console

Just to reiterate, yes, I *will* be fixing the install.  The initrd stuff
is going to have to make it in, even if it kills me. And I'll be working
on porting Rawhide 1.0 too.

- Alex