Re: challenge s boots linux

To: Rob Lembree <lembree@sgi.com>
Subject: Re: challenge s boots linux
From: Richard Hartensveld <richardh@infopact.nl>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:41:22 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Rob Lembree wrote:

> hmm, I had the same problem on my Indy.  I found that
> IRIX had stripped the major and minor numbers from the
> device files in the tar distribution -- the answer was to
> untar using Linux, not IRIX (gtar doesn't help), or to
> manually recreate the dev files.

I've untarred the hardhat distr. on my linux machine and that's the
machine that plays nfs server for the
challenge.

Should the default kernel support serial terminal consoles?? My goal is
to install linux onto the challenge
(which is headless) using a serial terminal connected to it, is this
possible by default or should i cross-compile my own kernel on another
platform?.

Regards,

Richard Hartensveld
The Netherlands