Re: Success at last...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Success at last...
From: Rob Lembree <lembree@sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:21:17 -0400
Cc: Leon Verrall <leon@reading.sgi.com>, SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Leon Verrall wrote:
> >
> > FInally got rid of the "Warning, unable to open console" message. I think I
> > managed it by not letting IRIX anywhere near the tarball of hard hat.
> > Downloaded and extracted entirely on Debian Linux.
>
> This is really weird.  Can you explain in greater detail what you changed
> to make sure that it worked?

I found that IRIX's tar wasn't very careful with modification dates,
which I don't think is a problem, but the major and minor IDs of the
dev files were all zero -- clearly broken.  I haven't experimented,
but I believe this to be the failure.

-r

--

Rob Lembree                Strategic Software Organization

Silicon Graphics, Inc.                  http://www.sgi.com
One Cabot Road                             rob@lembree.com
Hudson, MA 01749                           lembree@sgi.com
Phone: 978-567-2141                      FAX: 978-567-2341

PGP: 1F EE F8 58 30 F1 B1 20  C5 4F 12 21 AD 0D 6B 29