Re: Success at last...

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: Success at last...
From: Rob Lembree <>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 17:21:17 -0400
Cc: Leon Verrall <>, SGI Linux <>
Alex deVries wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Leon Verrall wrote:
> >
> > FInally got rid of the "Warning, unable to open console" message. I think I
> > managed it by not letting IRIX anywhere near the tarball of hard hat.
> > Downloaded and extracted entirely on Debian Linux.
> This is really weird.  Can you explain in greater detail what you changed
> to make sure that it worked?

I found that IRIX's tar wasn't very careful with modification dates,
which I don't think is a problem, but the major and minor IDs of the
dev files were all zero -- clearly broken.  I haven't experimented,
but I believe this to be the failure.

Rob Lembree                Strategic Software Organization

Silicon Graphics, Inc.
One Cabot Road
Hudson, MA 01749
Phone: 978-567-2141                      FAX: 978-567-2341

PGP: 1F EE F8 58 30 F1 B1 20  C5 4F 12 21 AD 0D 6B 29