Re: Success at last...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Success at last...
From: Leon Verrall <leon@reading.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 16:52:50 +0100 (BST)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Alex deVries wrote:

> > FInally got rid of the "Warning, unable to open console" message. I think I
> > managed it by not letting IRIX anywhere near the tarball of hard hat.
> > Downloaded and extracted entirely on Debian Linux.
>
> This is really weird.  Can you explain in greater detail what you changed
> to make sure that it worked?

Erm. not really I'm afraid... Thinking about it the only real difference
that I can think of was I had a keyboard/mouse installed. Before I was using
a vt100 terminal. I realise that should work but maybe a missing keyboard
caused it to barf?

I could have untearred the tarfile from an nfs mount onto the linux box
before but I can't see that having an effect...

Any ideas on the console size thing? This could just be a cofiguration thing
I've never bothered to look at before on linux but I can't see where...

Leon

--
Leon Verrall - 01189 307734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.