Re: cdrom

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: cdrom
From: Ulf Carlsson <grim@zigzegv.ml.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 19:50:46 +0200 (CEST)
Cc: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 12:19:11AM +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
>
> The problems seems to be associated with either sync SCSI or disconnect/
> reconnect.  I did a two line modification to sgiwd93.c which disables
> sync and disconnect/reconnect.  I now have since about a hour running:
>
>   dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/zero &
>   dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/zero &
>   dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/zero &
>   find / /ext -xdev | cpio -o -H crc -F /dev/nst0 --verbose
>
> No problem so far.  (Except that SCSI performance even with only single
> disk activity is further converging to zero ...)

I tried to implement your ideas, I disabled sync, I don't know how you
disable disconnect/reconnect. Anyway, I don't think that's the problem.
The problem is the sigsegv in mount the oops causes, do we have something
like a 'half' mounted device?

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000000, epc ==
88021bcc, ra == 8809414
Oops: 0000
epc   : 88021bcc
Cause : 00000008
Segmentation fault

I get those other messages ...

scsi: aborting command due to timeout ...

...  when I try to access the directory where I mounted the CDROM drive.
Do you think my SC hack is causing this mess?

- Ulf