Re: cdrom

To: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>, Ulf Carlsson <grim@zigzegv.ml.org>
Subject: Re: cdrom
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 16:55:05 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Sep 01, 1998 at 12:19:11AM +0200, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 06:56:10PM +0200, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Has someone managed to mount a CD yet?
>
> my Indy doesn't have a CDrom drive. But it works on my M700. So it's
> probably related to the scsi low level driver. Ralf mentioned some
> problems with DAT, but that could also be a generic problem.
>
> > scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 665, scsi0, channel 0, id4,
> > lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
> and CDrom drive works with IRIX ?

The problems seems to be associated with either sync SCSI or disconnect/
reconnect.  I did a two line modification to sgiwd93.c which disables
sync and disconnect/reconnect.  I now have since about a hour running:

  dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/zero &
  dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/zero &
  dd if=/dev/sdc of=/dev/zero &
  find / /ext -xdev | cpio -o -H crc -F /dev/nst0 --verbose

No problem so far.  (Except that SCSI performance even with only single
disk activity is further converging to zero ...)