Re: boot problem for Indy

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>, Arnaud Le Neel <Arnaud.Le.Neel@cyceron.fr>
Subject: Re: boot problem for Indy
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 01:25:04 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 01:16:44PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> > Setting $netaddr to 192.93.44.35 (for server server.cyceron.fr)
> > Obtaining vmlinux from server.cyceron.fr
> > Cannot reload bootp()server.cyceron.fr:vmlinux
> > Illegal f_magik number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC
> > Unable to load bootp()server.cyceron.fr:vmlinux: execute format error
> > PS: Here is the description of the Indy i want to boot Linux:
> >     IP22 100MHz R4000 with FPU
>
> Hm.  Sounds to me like a processor thing.  Could that be, Ralf?  I'm not
> sure I've seen anyone try on an R4000 before, and if so, wha the
> implications of are for its cache.

No, _this_ is not a processor thing.  However some 100MHz R4000 have a
processor bug (the count/compare thing) which we don't handle yet.  The
bug shouldn't be lethal it might just result in temporary lockup of the
machine for about 86s during which no more timer interrupt are being
delivered.  The fix is known; it just needs to be implemented.