Re: boot problem for Indy

To: Honza Pazdziora <adelton@informatics.muni.cz>
Subject: Re: boot problem for Indy
From: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:55:29 -0700
Cc: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>, Arnaud Le Neel <Arnaud.Le.Neel@cyceron.fr>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Honza Pazdziora writes:

 > > > Cannot reload bootp()server.cyceron.fr:vmlinux
 > > > Illegal f_magik number 0x7f45, expected MIPSELMAGIC or MIPSEBMAGIC
 > > > Unable to load bootp()server.cyceron.fr:vmlinux: execute format error
 > > > PS: Here is the description of the Indy i want to boot Linux:
 > > >  IP22 100MHz R4000 with FPU
 > >
 > > Hm.  Sounds to me like a processor thing.  Could that be, Ralf?  I'm not
 > > sure I've seen anyone try on an R4000 before, and if so, wha the
 > > implications of are for its cache.
 >
 > I remember I tried to boot something like 2.1.7* on our older indy
 > with R4000 and the message was very much like this. Shall I retry?

      The PROM on older Indy systems, especially those with R4000
processors, may only support MIPS ECOFF binaries.  Are you booting an
ELF or an ECOFF kernel binary?  If you have an ELF kernel binary, and
it cannot be converted to ECOFF, you may need a two-level loading scheme.
Note that you could try loading sash from the local disk, and then
have sash boot vmlinux via bootp(), since sash does know about
ELF binaries.