Re: Installing Rough Hat in South Simcoe County

To: Mike Hill <mikehill@hgeng.com>
Subject: Re: Installing Rough Hat in South Simcoe County
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:25:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Mike,

        First off, help is no longer really that far away, as I'll be
moving to Toronto this coming Sunday (near Yonge and Shepherd for the
month of Sept, then Queen's Quay and Yonge thereafter). Finally!

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Mike Hill wrote:
> Finally[1] I've got my Indy connected to a Debian 2.0 pentium that has
> the tarball of the dist formerly known as Hard Hat.
> The kernel boots locally *and* with bootp, putting me into the installer
> in either case.  According to the pc's syslog, the Indy successfully
> nfsmounts the installfs directory.  After mounting /dev/sdb1 (without
> checking), the installer fails with this:
>       Fatal error opening RPM database (I pick "Ok")
>       install exited abnormally...received signal 11

Some questions to help guide us to the right solution:
- when you log the files beign accessed on the PC's NFS, do you see it
opening anything in /RedHat/base ?  Can you check and see this?
- if you'd like, I can just mail you this CD with Rough Cuts on it, thus
preventing the situation where you're missing a couple of files, etc.
You're also welcome to pick it up.

God, I should really revisit the installer and fix it.

- Alex