Re: [Q] How to reboot automatically?

To: "William J. Earl" <>, "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <>
Subject: Re: [Q] How to reboot automatically?
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 20:32:00 +0200
Cc: Linux <>
On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 09:10:34AM -0700, William J. Earl wrote:

> IRIX looks at the environment when booting.  That is, it finds
> argc, argv, and envp in $a0, $a1, and $a2.  It copies them to
> private storage before starting up, since they are in memory
> which will be overlaid by dynamic memory allocation.  All of the
> NVRAM and temporary environment variables are passed via envp.
> IRIX looks for root= on the command line (in argv) first, and then
> in the environment, before falling back on a default.  linux could
> do the same.

That looks like a good idea; it can be implemented easily and nicely
within Linux.  And for transparency we should.  What will stay different
is the naming convention of Linux partitions.

The environment is allocated in ``Firmware Temporary'' memory, isn't it?
We don't free that yet but we should, for low memory configurations that
should be a significant amount of memory.