Re: Message while mounting NFS

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: Message while mounting NFS
From: Dong Liu <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 12:03:10 -0400
Cc: Dong Liu <>,
Alex deVries writes:
 > On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Dong Liu wrote:
 > > I think this is a bug of red hat system (BTW, where I can send them this
 > > bug
 > > report?), portmapper is started after nfsfs, it should be started before
 > > nfsfs.
 > Does starting portmapper before nfsfs actually work for you?  I still had
 > NFS client problems on my HH install (although the client works somewhat
 > better on my totally custom and hacked install).

Yes, it works for me, the only thing I changed is the "chkconfig" line of
/etc/rc.d/init.d/{portmap,nfsfs} and run "chkconfig reset", no more
kernel error message and long delay of mounting nfs.

Here is another thought, in order to mount /usr as nfs, should portmap
be under /sbin instead of /usr/sbin?

BTW, speaking of nfs, I have observed another problem, when I first
login to a user whose home directory is nfs mounted from an HP server,
sgi linux kernel prints

NFS: server xxxx, readdir reply truncated
NFS: nr=156, slots=2, len=10

All the i386 linux boxes don't exhibit this problem