Re: What about...

To: Alex deVries <>, Igor Loncarevic <anubis@BanjaLuka.NET>, SGI Linux <>
Subject: Re: What about...
From: "William J. Earl" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 07:11:42 -0700
Greg Chesson writes:
 > Alex is right.
 > Linux on Origin 2000 would be a huge project - not just a port.

     Note that the reason it would be a big project is not so much the
hardware itself, but rather the scale of the system.  IRIX needed a lot
of infrastructure work to be useful on very large system with a very large
number of I/O buses and devices.  That is, a toy port would not be all
that giant a project, but it would not be particularly useful.  If there
were a good linux on some other very large ccNUMA machine, then an Origin
port would be much simpler.  By "good", I mean a linux which scale well
for large (greater than 32) processor and I/O count (many I/O buses
and thousands of disk).  It expect such a linux will happen eventually,
but not yet.