Re: SGI/Linux mirror in taiwan

To: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: SGI/Linux mirror in taiwan
From: Honza Pazdziora <adelton@informatics.muni.cz>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:57:14 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

> - ftp/ftpd has slowdown problem receiving big file (270M)
>   reget was normal at first, slowed quickly.
>
>   (probably the shortage problem of usable memory, may/may
>    not be cured until the swapon works.)

Can't this be the general problem of 2.1.99 slowing down? I've
experianced the same, IMO caused by the value of buffers very high,
not being freed, or so. The swap did not really matter because the
kernel did not touch the swap at all. It just did not have any
free memory.

You might benefit from downloading new kernel from the test directory
and run with it. It doesn't slow down anymore.

 Honza Pazdziora | adelton@fi.muni.cz | http://www.fi.muni.cz/~adelton/
                   I can take or leave it if I please