Re: The pre-release of Hard Hat Linux for SGI...

To: Honza Pazdziora <adelton@informatics.muni.cz>
Subject: Re: The pre-release of Hard Hat Linux for SGI...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 18:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Honza Pazdziora wrote:
> The fdisk seems to work, I was able to change the ID of the partition.
> There is still the funny thing when you are selecting the root
> partition -- the free space is negative (-522MB). Interesting thing is
> that this dialog shows the partitions as Linux native and Linux swap,
> even if the fdisk would show them as EFS and raw.
> I tried to mkfs the root with check for bad blocks, this killed the
> installer with Install exited abnormally. Without the checks it run
> OK.

Okay.  mkfs is messed; we should document that.  I don't intend on fixing
it anytime really soon.

Fine, swap doesn't work either.  I don't mind skipping that for now.

> Some of the packages still complain about failing, on console 4 Unable
> to load interpreter. During the install of 230 packages there were
> about 20 messages
>       ldconfig: Exception at [<88109534>] (8810960c)

_THAT_ worries me a lot.

If you have an existing install of linux on your SGI, do this:
- install the ldconfig rpm that's in the distribution you have
- run ldconfig

Does that still give the exception?

> About 3 packages before end, the install failed with Out of memory,
> Install exited abnormally, messages about signal, etc.

That's a problem.  How much memory do you have?

> So I rebooted and tried just with networked WS and development, this
> failed in about 60 % with Install exited abnormally.

What package was installing at the time the install broke?

> The third attempt I did was only 126 packages of base and networked
> WS, this finished fine.

Good.

> After booting the new kernel, I get Unable to open an initial console.

Did you pass a root= variable to the kernel when booting?  You should
normally have to do something like:

boot vmlinux root=/dev/sdb1

Does the kernel see the partitions on your disk?

> Alex, if you make any changes or so, please make them available as
> patch or packages, not as a new whole tar.gz -- the network was
> really slow from U.S. to Europe today.

Definitely.

These problems worry me a lot.  Please, if you have had the same or other
experiences, I want to know about them.

- Alex