Re: The pre-release of Hard Hat Linux for SGI...

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: The pre-release of Hard Hat Linux for SGI...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 02:05:15 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 15 Jul 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> There is even more going on this week.  The DECstation guys have managed
> to run their first user task, Thomas managed to get X up on the Magnum 4000 /
> Olivetti.  I'd say a pretty good week.

Absolutely!

> Time to put up a webpage and register users :-)

Yup.  I updated the WWW and FTP site a bit.  It'd be really good if we
could maybe put a direct link from the main page to the Manhattan page.
Also, it'd be good to have some sort of hardware compatibility page.  I
know there will be people wondering about CPU compatibility, something I'm
a bit confused about. Honza, could you help us out with that?

I know it's a bitch to download 270MB, but I'd really like it if someone
would give this dsitribution a shot.  Red Hat's going to press this on a
CD later this week, and we need to make sure that we get it right.
Actually, even Linux/SGI coasters would be pretty cool...

We're now at 455 packages, which is something like 70 short of i386.  I
think we're at the point now where we could do another pass over the
packages and get a couple more out. Things like emacs and gdb are just
around the corner.

I think this is worth an article on slashdot.org.

When Hard Hat is released, is SGI interested in doing a press release?

This is really excellent work on everyone's part. Especially in the last
month, we've really pulled everything together.  There's been some long
hours for some of the developers, and it's very satisfying to see a
distribution come out of it.

- Alex