Re: The mouse issue...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>, SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: The mouse issue...
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 06:56:05 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 12:08:07AM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> Alright.  So I went through to see if I could locate anywhere in the
> kernel where there might be problems with psaux.  I recompiled, stuck some
> printk's in, and I got: Nothing.  Nadda.  Zip.  The whole machine hangs
> (including num lock).
>
> When I do a 'cat /dev/psaux', the printk's prove that the open works fine.
> Then in the first read, it attempts to do a schedule().  So far, no
> problem, the system is still up.  But it never comes out of the
> schedule(), and a subsequent mouse input hangs the system (or the
> keyboard, anyway).
>
> Ideas?

Mouse interrupts where looping.  Fixed, gpm works now.

There I small uglyness in gpm when using it with certain types of mouse
like PS/2 mice which are available with two or three buttons.  Until
the optional third middle button has been used for the first time gpm
doesn't know that it's using a three button mouse.  So the right button
changes it's meaning when the middle one has been pressed.  Just a
small thing and it affects all architectures anyway.