Re: hmmmm.... nice job!!

To: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <mjhsieh@life.nthu.edu.tw>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: hmmmm.... nice job!!
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 12:46:15 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 08:52:24PM +0800, Francis M. J. Hsieh wrote:

> I just installed this nice/impressive OS in our indy, the network speed
> is faster than it is on irix6.2.

[makes a notch into his Indy's keyboard ...]

>  - possible no sound support (beep ?)

Yes, that's still missing and as far as just the equivalent of the
PC beeper is affected I'd call it a feature ;-)

>  - (sometimes) a strange garbage image, about 1 character size in the
>    lowerleft corner of the screen

Yes, and there are some more artefacts in the console code, aside of it's
afully slow speed.  As Alan already mentioned it's time to reimplement the
console code for the Indy, this time based on abscon.  And just yesterday
Thomas who already did the abscon support for the G364 board (Magnum 4000),
volunteered to implement this for the Newport.