Re: New 2.0.107 console scheme

To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: New 2.0.107 console scheme
From: Mike Shaver <>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 18:11:09 -0400
Alan Cox wrote:
> Almost and no. Its not fb_con thats relevant for the indy. fbcon is a directly
> accessible bitmapped display. The indy will need to use abscon directly  to
> issue newport commands

So, um, yeah.
I've been wading through the newport docs and the X server code and docs
and so forth for about 3 days now (good thing my boss is away!), and I'm
starting to think that I might almost understand what I have to do.

Things that are still unclear:
- do we use /dev/graphics, and make that work correctly (it doesn't
quite right now), or do we tweak the Newport HW from the X server
directly for things like board detection, etc.?
- where is the mouse driver coming from?
- why does it always take me so long to read these silly docs?
- why are there no good examples of writing a non-frame-buffered X
- why haven't I yet bothered the people I work with at Netscape who
worked on the original SGI X server?
- why (and I've looked closely at this for 5 hours this week) does EFS
still do dumb things?

Thank you for listening.  I feel much better now.

452526.29 378522.30