Re: 5.1 installation fun & games...

To: Alan Cox <>
Subject: Re: 5.1 installation fun & games...
From: Leon Verrall <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:12:32 +0100 (BST)
On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Hmmm. ALl of the dev devices were major/minor 0 0 so I've put them right
> > using the kernel device numbers list. If nfs is not passing device numbers
> > how exactly does this work (as it apparently does) or is this an SGI
> > specific NFS thing...
> Linux device numbers are major<<8|minor, SGI ones are split on a
> different boundary. NFSv2 doesnt indicate the boundary - so device
> 2,0 on linux may appear as 0,512 on Irix.

Ah, a chicken and egg thing. You can nfsroot an SG linux box as long as you
have a linux box to do it from...

Leon Verrall - 01189 307734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.
Silicon Graphics, Forum 1,   \ And answer a call while you still care at all
Station Rd., Theale, RG7 4RA / 'cos nobody will if you wont" (6:00 - DT)