Re: 5.1 installation fun & games...

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: 5.1 installation fun & games...
From: Leon Verrall <leon@reading.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 14:53:21 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, 22 Jun 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Anyway, this boots the kernel, mounts the root fs and then stops with the
> > message:
> >
> >   Warning: unable to open an initial console
>
> You don't have a valid "/dev" inside of /scratch/linux/installfs
>
> Tar preserves major/minor numbers which will screw you royally across
> NFS (which doesnt).

Hmmm. ALl of the dev devices were major/minor 0 0 so I've put them right
using the kernel device numbers list. If nfs is not passing device numbers
how exactly does this work (as it apparently does) or is this an SGI
specific NFS thing...

Leon

--
Leon Verrall - 01189 307734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.