5.1 installation fun & games...

To: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: 5.1 installation fun & games...
From: Leon Verrall <leon@reading.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:08:21 +0100 (BST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
'lo all,

I've tripped over something trying to install the 5.1 distribution on a
spare indy. I have a second Indy acting as a bootp server for the nfs-root
installation. The nfs-root filesystem came from installfs.tgz on linus.

The machines are both on a segmented network with the netmask 0xffffff80 so
I had to muck about with nfsroot= and nfsaddrs= . The boot command I'm using
is:

  boot bootp():vmlinux nfsroot=/scratch/linux/installfs \
  nfsaddrs=:::0xffffff80:misfit::

Anyway, this boots the kernel, mounts the root fs and then stops with the
message:

  Warning: unable to open an initial console

This turns up if I use any type of console (gfx or vt100 terminal). Perhaps
that was too literal an interpretation but I'd have kicked myself if it was
the problem :)

I suspect my bootp setup could be more robust or nfs root isn't mounting
properly...

BTW, small tip I found useful. Instead of typing:

  boot bootp():vmlinux nfsroot=/scratch/linux/installfs etc. etc.

everytime to boot, on an SG machine use:

  setenv -p linux "a_very_long_command_its_a_pain_to_keep_typing"

and boot the machine with

  $linux

at the console prompt :)

Leon

--
Leon Verrall - 01189 307734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.