RedHat reveals some secrets

Subject: RedHat reveals some secrets
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 17:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I was waiting for redHat to come out of the closet for a while.
I believe publishing some numbers (as opposed to keeping them
a secret) is the _one_ of the prereqs for being taken seriously
by analysts like IDC and Fortune 500 companies.

In the article:

        http://www.sjmercury.com/business/tech/docs/078480.htm

The San Jose Mercury today says:

        Red Hat software takes on the big guys

        BY JOEL B. OBERMAYER
        Raleigh News & Observer

        RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C. -- Don't
        mess with Microsoft. It's the cardinal rule of the
        software industry. Plenty of promising companies
        have crashed when they collided with the
        Redmond, Wash.-based giant.

        Yet there's a small, fast-growing Triangle
        company making a living aggressively pushing in
        the area Microsoft dominates: the operating
        systems that run personal computers.

        [... deleted ...]

        Red Hat's sales of Linux products have doubled
        every 12 months, putting it on target to ship
        400,000 Linux CD-ROMs this year and reach
        more than $10 million in sales, according to Young.
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        He said the company has been profitable every year.

        [... deleted ...]

        The competition with Microsoft isn't a problem,
        either. Microsoft is unlikely to offer technical users
        the control they want, he said.

        ``The only way you can compete against a
         monopoly is to change the rules on which the game
         is played,'' Young said. ``It allows me to sleep at
         night knowing we compete under different rules.''

In a separate news article Linux was mentioned for the _first_ time
by IDC and was estimated at 6.8% of the server operating system
market, after NT, Novell NetWare, and "Unix" :-)

I think this is cool :-)
--
Peace, Ariel