Re: more changes on linus.linux.sgi.com

To: Bob Mende Pie <mende@piecomputer.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: more changes on linus.linux.sgi.com
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:12:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, dmk@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Bob Mende Pie wrote:
>   The system linus.linux.sgi.com now has a new disk configuration for /src.
> It is now a pair of high speed 4g drives mirrored (via xlv).   The old disk
> array is offline, but will not be recycled for at least a week.  Please let
> me know if you see any problems or data discrepencies.

Good! Thanks!

>    The system is now a 150Mhz R4400 running on a Challenge/S.   Before we
> consider upgrading linus to run linux, we should have support for the
> Challenge/S.  I have a IO+ card free, but the backplate of the indy does
> not allow for it to fit into a box.  I am seeing if I can get a Challenge/S
> for loan for a few months so we can get it someone who can do the HW port
> for it.   It should be close to a no brainer since it is just a few more WD
> scsi chains and another ethernet (just like the internal one).

I'd definetly be interested in that port...  off the top of my head, it
doesn't sound difficult either.

I do really think that having some SGI/Linux machine within
*.linux.sgi.com would be good; if we're advocating that Linux on the SGI
is a reasonable proposition, it would prove a lot if we said that we were
hosting our own FTP and WWW sites on it.

However, there's definitely advantages to having Irix kicking around...
it's much easier having a reference Irix system for reference than
rebooting.

- Alex