Re: Linux/SGI and processor sets

To: "Stuart Herbert, GNQS Maintainer" <stuart@gnqs.org>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Linux/SGI and processor sets
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 03:54:23 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Jun 17, 1998 at 08:57:17PM +0100, Stuart Herbert, GNQS Maintainer wrote:

> I've joined the Linux/SGI mailing list looking for (at first)
> information about a specific feature-set ... my apologies if I've come
> to the wrong place.

This is definately the right place.

> IRIX 5.x, and IRIX 6.0-6.3 provides support for 'processor sets'
> through the sysmp(2) system call, and the pset(1) binary.  This
> particular feature-set is popular amongst users of Generic NQS, a
> batch processing system I maintain.
>
> It's so popular, in fact, that there's been a lot of interest amongst
> my users in adding this feature-set to Linux.  It occurred to me that
> the Linux/SGI port *might* include adding this support to Linux.
>
> Is sysmp(2) and pset(1) on your TODO list?

We only support the uninteresting sysmp(2) operations MP_PGSIZE,
MP_NPROCS and MP_NAPROCS as part of the IRIX binary compatibility.

> If not, then I wrote a (crude - I'm not much of a kernel hacker) patch
> which implemented all the pset stuff for sysmp(2), and a basic pset(1)
> binary which may be of interest.  The patch is against an old 2.0
> kernel, and needs a small fix to actually work (I don't actually have
> a SMP box of my own).

We don't yet support SMP - nobody has so far provided a SMP machine to
me plus the hardware documentation.  However I think you might also
consult about sysmp(2) and pset(1) with the people from
linux-smp@vger.rutgers.edu, the stuff is definately of interest to the
users of Alpha, i386 and Sparc systems on which SMP is supported.

Linux/MIPS is so far not yet a very widespread OS, but if you nevertheless
wish to port your code to Linux/MIPS, then I as one of the core
developers would like to offer you my support.  I'd also like to point
out that Linux/MIPS as far as technically possible is binary compatible
beyond the machines of just one manufacturer.