Linux/SGI and processor sets

To: "Linux/SGI List" <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Linux/SGI and processor sets
From: "Stuart Herbert, GNQS Maintainer" <stuart@gnqs.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 20:57:17 +0100
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi everyone,

I've joined the Linux/SGI mailing list looking for (at first)
information about a specific feature-set ... my apologies if I've come
to the wrong place.

IRIX 5.x, and IRIX 6.0-6.3 provides support for 'processor sets'
through the sysmp(2) system call, and the pset(1) binary.  This
particular feature-set is popular amongst users of Generic NQS, a
batch processing system I maintain.

It's so popular, in fact, that there's been a lot of interest amongst
my users in adding this feature-set to Linux.  It occurred to me that
the Linux/SGI port *might* include adding this support to Linux.

Is sysmp(2) and pset(1) on your TODO list?

If not, then I wrote a (crude - I'm not much of a kernel hacker) patch
which implemented all the pset stuff for sysmp(2), and a basic pset(1)
binary which may be of interest.  The patch is against an old 2.0
kernel, and needs a small fix to actually work (I don't actually have
a SMP box of my own).

Best regards,
Stu
--