Re: Cheap used SGi boxes

To: Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>
Subject: Re: Cheap used SGi boxes
From: Brendan Black <ratfink@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:10:31 +1200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Murray Stokely wrote:

>   Does anyone know of a good source for old, used SGi systems?
> http://www.xsnet.com seems to be the best source I can find on the net
> for old Indigo II's and such but I can't find much older, cheaper, or
> more capable of running Linux.  I'd really prefer to have something
> better than 8bit graphics and I guess that limits my choices for
> low-end systems as well.  I didn't have much luck dealing with SGi
> people directly because they just kept trying to get me to buy a newer
> system.
>
> One system that caught my eye was this one :
>
> R4400 200MHz/1MB SC, XL, 64MB, 2GB, 17"                 $ 1,600 Ea.
>
> But last I checked I wouldn't be able to run Linux for quite a while.
>
>         - Murray

try also http://www.reputable.com, I remembered seeing this one on the old SGI
systems
documentation page at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html

--
Brendan Black - Network Engineer, Telecom Internet Services
email:  ratfink@xtra.co.nz

"Waving away a cloud of smoke, I look up, and am blinded by a bright, white
light. It's God. No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God. In
a booming voice, He says: "THIS IS A SIGN. USE LINUX, THE FREE UNIX SYSTEM
FOR THE 386." -- Matt Welsh