Re: 4d/25 docs.

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: 4d/25 docs.
From: Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:14:58 +0100 (BST)
Cc: SGI/Linux List <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Alex deVries wrote:

> I am none of the following:
> - a member of the Inner Circle
> - a paid person by SGI
> - someone who has his name in kernel CREDITS

Snap! *grin*

> However, I have a lot of docs from SGI on the Indy hardware, which seem
> to improve in quality as you re-read them.

Cool.

> Seeing as how the Iris is older than the Indy, I'd suspect that there
> would be even more likelyhood of you getting access to the docs.  I

This is what I was hoping, but a couple of people have told me of bad
luck so far.  But then they all tried the developer support channels,
rather than this list, it seems.

> expect the biggest restraint will be finding someone within SGI who
> has the time to follow this kind of thing up. Certainly William Earl
> is a good person to follow up with. I believe Ariel is quite busy these
> days.

Mr Earl seems to be away until the 29th, but I have[1] high hopes...

> Personally, I'd love to see something like the Iris supported.  As time
> goes on, more an dd more people will want a modern OS with a lower
> overhead to run on their retired machines.

Indeed.  However, Ariel's response was slightly less optimistic than
yours, and I don't want to be putting him or any other helpful "insiders"
off helping with more useful/realistic things.

Cheers,
Matthew.

[1] Now had; see Ariel's post.