Re: 4d/25 docs.

To: weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk (Matthew Kirkwood)
Subject: Re: 4d/25 docs.
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 12:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:Hi,
:
:Someone has offered me a Personal Iris (4D/25) box which I'd
:quite like to put Linux on.  I am aware that very little R3K
:work has been and is being done, and that's fine by me :-)
:
:William Earl suggested a while ago (I checked the archive),
:that docs for the 4D/?? boxes could be made available on the
:same basis as those for the Indy.
:
:Since I don't know what basis this is, I'm a bit stumped :)
:
:Do I have to be a member of the Inner Circle(tm) to see these
:things?
:
:FWIW, almost anything with enough detail will do.  I can sometimes
:even read my own code :-)
:
:Cheers,
:Matthew.
:

Matthew,

Before I start. You know about:

        http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2258/4dfaq.html

If not, check it out.

Really honestly, and by no means to sound negative but-- :

I think the main problem is the handling.

Someone who is probably highly paid (at SGI) needs to go and
search for those antique docs (they are not online as far as
I can tell/search), send them to the copy center (and pay them),
ship them (ditto) all while stoppping the work they are paid to do
in the first place and delaying their schedules etc.  All in all
a waste of a few hours which most probably amounts to more than
the market price of such a system.

The return: some hacker somewhere will have a little fun with
the docs or with the donated hardware.

We are paid to do different things even though some of us
lurk on the list and want Linux on SGI to be successful.

Bill Earl and I together spent several hours to locate, duplicate
and ship Indy specs to about 7 people, I'm not sure much
ever came out of all this effort so I personally don't feel
like I would like to repeat it :-)   I'd say, better get an old,
used 486. it should cost between $0-$100 and be about as fast.

Again: not to sound negative! really, just to tell how this
looks from this end.

Happy Linuxing.

--
Peace, Ariel