Re: 4d/25 docs.

To: Matthew Kirkwood <weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 4d/25 docs.
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 15:39:04 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:
> Someone has offered me a Personal Iris (4D/25) box which I'd
> quite like to put Linux on.  I am aware that very little R3K
> work has been and is being done, and that's fine by me :-)
> William Earl suggested a while ago (I checked the archive),
> that docs for the 4D/?? boxes could be made available on the
> same basis as those for the Indy.
>
> Since I don't know what basis this is, I'm a bit stumped :)
>
> Do I have to be a member of the Inner Circle(tm) to see these
> things?
> FWIW, almost anything with enough detail will do.  I can sometimes
> even read my own code :-)

I am none of the following:
- a member of the Inner Circle
- a paid person by SGI
- someone who has his name in kernel CREDITS

However, I have a lot of docs from SGI on the Indy hardware, which seem to
improve in quality as you re-read them.

What does this mean to you getting such docs?  Probably nothing.

Seeing as how the Iris is older than the Indy, I'd suspect that there
would be even more likelyhood of you getting access to the docs.  I expect
the biggest restraint will be finding someone within SGI who has the time
to follow this kind of thing up. Certainly William Earl is a good person
to follow up with. I believe Ariel is quite busy these days.

Personally, I'd love to see something like the Iris supported.  As time
goes on, more an dd more people will want a modern OS with a lower
overhead to run on their retired machines.

- Alex