Re: Some questions...

To: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca (Alex deVries)
Subject: Re: Some questions...
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:What are the implications of us redistributing the header files from Irix?
:In particular, there are some header files for newport graphics that are
:needed.
:

My personal reasoning for "it is not really a problem"
stems from the following facts:

        1) If you have the Indy (hardware) you already have
           the license for IRIX (for your own use)

        2) Unlike in earlier days where you had so buy a "developer's CD"
           to get headers"   SGI is now including header files standard
           with the system (since 6.2 at least).

        3) Newport graphics is ancient technology (about 6 years old)

Having said that, all these headers usually have this on top:
/**************************************************************************
 *                                                                        *
 *               Copyright (C) 1996 Silicon Graphics, Inc.                *
 *                                                                        *
 *  These coded instructions, statements, and computer programs  contain  *
 *  unpublished  proprietary  information of Silicon Graphics, Inc., and  *
 *  are protected by Federal copyright law.  They  may  not be disclosed  *
 *  to  third  parties  or copied or duplicated in any form, in whole or  *
 *  in part, without the prior written consent of Silicon Graphics, Inc.  *

So clearly we should get permission from the "powers that be" and
someone needs to ask the legal people :-)   I just don't know
what entity can approve this.  If anyone knows and we can get
a brief "approved" from some director, it would be nice.

Any volunteers ?

--
Peace, Ariel