Re: The Forth may be with you ...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: The Forth may be with you ...
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 20 May 1998 16:37:47 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, May 19, 1998 at 10:52:08PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> On Wed, 20 May 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> > for the fun of it and because I needed something that is programable,
> > interactive and small (92kb including the full dictionay) I ported pforth
> > v19 to run on the raw ARC firmware.  If anybody is interested in this
> > toy, tell me.  Even you even have an alibi application for this toy,
> > tell me asap :-)
>
> Alright, I'll bite.
>
> Exactly what is this useful for? Could we use this as a LILO replacement
> for SGI/Linux?

Well, I was fed up of compiling test programs for the ARC firmware to play
with it, reboot crash the box and start all over again.

What could it be usefull for?  It's a full programming language including
development environment, so you can basically do anything with it.  If you
wish, knit your own OpenFirmware from it?  And yes, you could brew a LILO
equivalent from it.

The question is still if we need such a thing.  It's a overkill solution
with small resource footprint and absolute flexibility.  But then it might
be what makes it attractive.