Re: Installer changes...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Installer changes...
From: Alistair Lambie <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:13:46 +1200
Cc: Alistair Lambie <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Alistair Lambie wrote:
> > It stops right at the file /dev/need_disks_created.  There are a bunch
> > of errors before this.  The /dev/need_disks_created file does not seem
> > to get written to disk correctly....the e2fsck cleans it up by the looks
> > of things.  I guess there is something about the cpio that the installer
> > doesn't like.
>
> Wow.  I really messed it up badly somehow.
>
> I suspect it's having a problem writing a file that's 0 bytes long.  Let
> me repackage it, and make the file 1 byte.

No, this is not the problem.  The problem is that the /dev directory is
getting too big for 'installer' to handle.  If I repackage the cpio
after deleting some files from the directory all is well.  Maybe we need
to do a very minimal package of the files in the /dev directory and run
some MAKEDEV's on first boot?

> As we speak, I'm debugging the initrd stuff in the kernel to sort out why
> initial ramdisks don't get loaded.

I think this is the way to go for the future...saves maintaining
installer :-)

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                         alambie@wellington.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics                      SGI Voicemail/VNET: 234-1455