Re: Installer changes...

To: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <mjhsieh@life.nthu.edu.tw>
Subject: Re: Installer changes...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:24:42 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, 19 May 1998, Francis M. J. Hsieh wrote:
> At 11:13 AM 1998/5/14 -0400, you wrote:
> >Wow.  I really messed it up badly somehow.
> >I suspect it's having a problem writing a file that's 0 bytes long.  Let
> >me repackage it, and make the file 1 byte.
> So, can anybody have time to fix it up? :-) I am new to sgi-linux and
> want to "getting start" :-).

I know this has been a couple of days that I've let this slip... I'll take
care of it (hopefully) tonight.

In the meantime, you can get by with a bit of pain on 0.01d, which is in
the old subdir.  I used that yesterday when I mistakenly reformatted by
entire Linux system.  *sigh*. That was actually the first time I'd used
the installer, which is a bit odd, seeing as how I've been maintaining it.

There are definite strides in the right direction for never having to use
the installer again, though.  I now understand how the initrd stuff works,
and have a start in puting in prom_initrd stuff.

The biggest thing we can do to further the project right now is to get
more people onboard with the fewest hassles possible.  Getting a decent
install program is critical to it. initrd (or prom_initrd) is the right
solution to that.

- Alex