VCE question

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: VCE question
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 13:35:53 +0200
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
I don't have a machine with a SC CPU, so I hopbe somebody of you can
help me -- the manuals of the R4000 / R4400 documents that the L2 cache
is tagged with bits 12-14 of the virtual address.  This is somewhat
strange because only cache-size / 4kb bits are required to avoid virtual
aliases.  That would be 1 bit for the R4000SC and 2 bits for the R4400SC.

Question: will the R4000SC/R4400SC actually verify 3 bits or only the
one rsp. two bits which need to be checked?