Re: Evidence of Drive Activity to Report

To: Michael Hill <mdhill@interlog.com>
Subject: Re: Evidence of Drive Activity to Report
From: Leon Verrall <leon@reading.sgi.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 09:35:06 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, 16 May 1998, Michael Hill wrote:

> ralf@uni-koblenz.de writes:
>  >
>  > Both cases sound like a bad /etc/fstab.  Try adding init=/bin/sh to your
>  > firmware command like arguments.  You'll get a completly uninitialized
>  > system.   Run e2fsck, then you should be able to remount / rw and fix
>  > the fstab.
>  >

> What should fstab look like?  Mine has a single entry (with
> root-be-0.03) for /proc.
>
> I get a bash prompt but e2fsck hangs.

Using root-be.0.03.cpio I had to hack some stuff around. /etc/fstab doesn't
contain a listing for / so fsck fails in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. I'd add this
entry in but I also hard coded /dev/sdc2 (my root) into rc.sysinit as the
mount command in this root-be doesn't seem to like mounting from fstab
entries....

Boot with vmlinux root=whatever init=/bin/sh
mount -t ext -n -o remount,rw /dev/myrootdevice /
vi /etc/rc.sysinit  and /etc/fstab
logout.

You may also want to 'touch /fastboot' . This will skip the fsck on boot.
(probably a dangerous thing ATM :)

Leon

--
Leon Verrall - 01189 307734  \ "Don't cut your losses too soon,
Secondline Software Support  / 'cos you'll only be cutting your throat.