Initrd stuff...

To: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Initrd stuff...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 23:56:47 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Okay, I'm hacking the kernel to allow for initial ramdisks.

The approach I'm taking (after discussion with Ralf) is to use
prom_open/read/close() to read an ramdisk file, instead of taking the
ramdisk off of the tail portion of the boot image.

So, I'm doing work in linux/arch/mips/sgi/prom/ .  I'm trying to do a:

prom_open(filename,rdonly,&fd);

But, I always get back PROM_ENODEV .  I assume that means that the device
I'm trying to locate doesn't work.

I've tried all sorts of things, apparantly none are correct.  I thought
that "scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(8)/initrd" was my best chance, but
it comes back with PROM_ENODEV also.

Anyone know what the correct syntax is?

- Alex