Re: Installer changes...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Installer changes...
From: Alistair Lambie <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:41:02 +1200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries wrote:

> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Francis M. J. Hsieh wrote:
> > I'm sorry if this was discussed in the maillist.
> > Should there be /etc dirctory after I cpio into my partition? I can't
> > find /etc in my linux partition under installer prompt.
>
> There should be a /etc in the ext2 file system after you run the
> installer.  As far as I know, there is no way to read an ext2 partition
> from within Irix.

Alex,

It stops right at the file /dev/need_disks_created.  There are a bunch
of errors before this.  The /dev/need_disks_created file does not seem
to get written to disk correctly....the e2fsck cleans it up by the looks
of things.  I guess there is something about the cpio that the installer
doesn't like.

I tried extracting the cpio archive with Irix cpio and it seems fine.

Does that give any clues?  Just another thought...I'm running Irix
6.5beta.  Wonder if that could be causing a problem with the installer??

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                         alambie@wellington.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics                      SGI Voicemail/VNET: 234-1455