Re: Installer changes...

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: Installer changes...
From: Alistair Lambie <>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 23:41:02 +1200
Alex deVries wrote:
> On Thu, 14 May 1998, Francis M. J. Hsieh wrote:
> > I'm sorry if this was discussed in the maillist.
> > Should there be /etc dirctory after I cpio into my partition? I can't
> > find /etc in my linux partition under installer prompt.
> There should be a /etc in the ext2 file system after you run the
> installer.  As far as I know, there is no way to read an ext2 partition
> from within Irix.

It stops right at the file /dev/need_disks_created.  There are a bunch
of errors before this.  The /dev/need_disks_created file does not seem
to get written to disk correctly....the e2fsck cleans it up by the looks
of things.  I guess there is something about the cpio that the installer
doesn't like.

I tried extracting the cpio archive with Irix cpio and it seems fine.

Does that give any clues?  Just another thought...I'm running Irix
6.5beta.  Wonder if that could be causing a problem with the installer??

Cheers, Alistair

Alistair Lambie
Silicon Graphics                      SGI Voicemail/VNET: 234-1455
Level 5, Cigna House,                                M/S: INZ-3780
PO Box 24 093,                                  Ph: +64-4-494 6325
40 Mercer St, Wellington,                      Fax: +64-4-494 6321
New Zealand                                 Mobile: +64-21-635 262