Re: Installer changes...

To: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <mjhsieh@life.nthu.edu.tw>
Subject: Re: Installer changes...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 15:47:57 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, 14 May 1998, Francis M. J. Hsieh wrote:
> I'm sorry if this was discussed in the maillist.
> Should there be /etc dirctory after I cpio into my partition? I can't
> find /etc in my linux partition under installer prompt.

There should be a /etc in the ext2 file system after you run the
installer.  As far as I know, there is no way to read an ext2 partition
from within Irix.

But it sounds like you're having problems even booting up...

> [deleted]
> sgiseeq.c: David S. Miller (dm@engr.sgi.com)
> eth0: SGI Seeq8003 blah:blah:blah:blah
> Partition check
>    blah....
>    blah....
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 32k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= optional to kernel.
> [halt]

Hm.  You might want to run it with 'init=/bin/sh' to skip init.

> And I use the kernel in GetingStarted directory, and got panic, too.
> ("should not happened yet")

I don't know about that.  That is Ralf's department.

- Alex